Well, its Sunday morning and I'm at home instead of church. I'm sick. UGH! And so are Madeleine and Tom. We are a pretty pitiful household at the moment. So I figured while I was at home I might as well do a blog post! :)
With Easter coming up, I am very excited! This will be Madeleine's first Easter!!! The first year in a baby's life is so exciting! Everything is brand new! Every experience is for "the first time." I began to think about Madeleine's first Easter a few months ago. (I know, I know, I'm a planner. I've also been planning her first birthday party since she was 5 months old.)
Anyway, I wanted to make sure that Madeleine's first Easter - and everyone that follows - is filled with thoughts of Jesus! I didn't want her waiting for the Easter Bunny. I wanted her excited that we are celebrating Jesus' resurrection from the dead! I didn't want to take away the "Easter Basket" though. So, what do I do? I don't want a basket filled with bunnies and chicks. That has nothing to do with Jesus and His resurrection. So, I took a page from my Mama's playbook. I decided that Madeleine will receive lambs for Easter. That's what my Mama gave me when I was little. Why? So she could discuss with me how Jesus is the "Lamb of God." So, Madeleine's Easter Basket is already prepared. - That's right! I'm a planner! There is a little book about the First Easter in there, a lamb blankie, a Build-a-Bear Lamb from my Dad, and a handmade, crochet lamb from my mother-in-law. (She used one of my Mama's crochet books to make it, so even Mama was involved in Madeleine's First Easter!!!!)
Now on to the recipe...
A couple of years ago I found a recipe for Easter Cookies that I just loved! Now remember, this was before we had Madeleine. I saved the recipe in the hopes that one day I would have little children that I could make these with. I also emailed the recipe to several friends & family members in the hopes that they would make these with their kids. I can not take credit for this recipe. I simply found it online. But I would love to share it with all of you. I've had several friends who had kids just about the same time I had Madeleine, so I'd love to share this recipe with them as well. So, without further ado...
Resurrection Cookies (I like this name better than "Easter Cookies.")
These Cookies are to be made the evening before Easter Sunday
You Will Need:
1 cup pecans
1 tsp vinegar
3 egg whites
a pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
ziploc bag
wooden spoon
tape
Bible
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. (Do this at the very beginning so that the oven is ready for the cookies as soon as they are prepared.)
Place pecans in ziploc bag and let chicldren beat them with a wooden spoon to break them into small pieces. Explain that, after Jesus was arrested, He was beated by the Roman soldiers. Read John 19:1-3.
Let each child smell the vinegar. Put 1 tsp vinegar into mixing bowl. Expain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross He was given vinegar to drink. Read John 19:26-30.
Add egg whites to vinegar. Eggs represent life. Explain that Jesus gave His life to give us life. Read John 10:10-11.
Sprinkle a little salt into each child's hand. Let them taste it and sprinkle the rest into the bowl. Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesus' followers, and the bitterness of our own sin. Read Luke 23:27.
So far the ingredients are not very appetizing. Add 1 cup of sugar. Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because He loves us. He wants us to know and belong to Him. Read Psalm 34:8 and John 3:16.
Beat with a mixer on High Speed for 12 to 15 minutes until stiff peaks are formed. Explain that the color represents the purity in God's eyes of those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus. Read Isaiah 1:18 and John 3:1-3.
Fold in broken pecans. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxpaper-covered cookie sheet. Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus' body was laid. Read Matthew 27: 57-60.
Put the cookie sheet in the oven, close the door, and turn the oven OFF. Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door. Explain that Jesus' tomb was sealed. Read Matthew 27: 65-66.
Go to bed! Explain that they may feel sad to leave the cookies in the oven overnight. Jesus' followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed. Read John 16:20 and 22.
On Resurrection Morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the cracked surface and take a bite. The cookies are hollow!!! On the first Easter, Jesus' followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty! Read Matthew 28:1-9.
No comments:
Post a Comment